Tuesday, September 16, 2008




Thing 16 - Wikis
My first introduction to wikis was Wikipedia. I don't think it is a good resource for research but when taken with a grain of salt is a good site just for background information and to become familiar with a topic and then go to an authoritative source for research. In looking through the information for the activity, one thing I would do for a site of my own is to restrict it and have users register and get approval from me before they had access to make changes. It is a good way to network and discuss issues with people from other areas. As far a a school application, I could see some that would work well for me and teachers. I could use wikis for various types of book lists for students and staff, summer reading lists, book clubs, student book reviews and recommendations, new books and various genre lists. Teachers could use wikis to enable students to report on their part of a larger research project. As an example, Native American tribes where each student or small groups reasearch a tribe and add to the larger pool. It is something that will continue to grow and change and we will find many applications for the use of wikis.

No comments: